1. WHAT CAR WILL I BE LEARNING TO DRIVE IN?
We use two models throughout the school, the Citreon DS3 Airdream and the Ford Fiesta Ecoboost. Each car has all the safety features you would expect including driver and passenger airbags, anti lock brakes and dual controls. In addition the cars have air conditioning to keep you cool during those warm, if rare, summer days! We operate a non smoking policy in our cars.
2. DO I NEED A PROVISIONAL LICENCE BEFORE I BEGIN MY LESSONS?
Before you learn to drive a car you must apply for a provisional driving licence. You can do this online by visiting www.gov.uk/driving-licences. Alternatively you can apply by completing the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or post office branches. You will also need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and the fee of £50. Send your completed application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD.
3. HOW MANY LESSONS WILL I NEED TO PASS MY TEST?
The DSA say that the average person needs about 40hrs of driving under supervision to reach test standard. In our experience this figure varies depending on a students age, pace in which they learn and whether they are getting any private practice inbetween lessons.
4. WILL MY LESSONS BE 1HR OR 2HRS LONG?
This is entirely up to you. We aim to be flexible here as we understand each student has different requirements. Some students find 2hrs to be too long, where as others find 1hr lessons simply go too quickly, hence why it is common to have 1.5hr long lessons. The best thing to do is discuss your requirements with your instructor and together you can decide what will suit you best.
5. DO MY LESSONS HAVE TO BE THE SAME TIME EACH WEEK?
Of course not. We understand that your weeks may vary which is why we aim to be as flexible as possible. Whether you want the same day and time each week or a different slot week by week this can usually be arranged subject to availability.
6. CAN I GET PICKED UP AND DROPPED OFF AT DIFFERENT ADDRESSES?
Yes. All we ask is that you let your instructor know prior to the lesson beginning. As long as it is not too far away this should not be a problem.
7. CAN I CHOOSE BETWEEN A MALE AND FEMALE INSTRUCTOR?
Yes. Altrincham Driving School has both male and female instructors available. Just let us know when you book your preferred choice and subject to availability we will meet your requirements.
8. WILL MY INSTRUCTOR SMOKE DURING MY LESSON?
No. We do not allow our instructors to smoke during lessons.
9. CAN I USE THE CAR I’M LEARNING IN TO TAKE MY TEST?
Of course you can. We recommend you take your test in the car you are most comfortable with, which invariably will be the one you have had most practice in. On booking your test, the DSA will ask you for your instructors ADI number. This ensures their car is available for you on your chosen day. If you decide to take the test in your own personal vehicle, you must ensure it is fitted with the following items:
1. A passenger head restraint
2. An interior mirror for the examiners use (this is in addition to the standard drivers interior mirror)
3. L plates to front and rear of car.
4. A speedometer that measures speed in miles per hour and kilometers per hour.
Please refer to www.gov.uk/practical-driving-test for further details.
10. I PASSED MY TEST SOME YEARS AGO BUT HAVENT DRIVEN MUCH SINCE, DO YOU DO REFRESHER LESSONS?
Yes. It is becoming more and more common these days to take fully qualified drivers out on the roads for some refresher lessons. Whether you are a little nervous about heading out on your own after a long break from driving, or just feel a bit rusty and require some gentle guidance and encouragement, our instructors are on hand to help. Prices for refresher lessons are the same as for learner driving lessons. Please refer to our prices page for details.
11. WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL MY LESSON, WILL I GET CHARGED?
If you need to rearrange/cancel a lesson all we ask for is 24 hours notice. If the lesson is cancelled within 24hours of the start time then a cancellation charge of £25 is payable on the next lesson.